Payroll Portal


As a part of our payroll service to you, the Watson CPA Group will consult with you to determine the optimal S Corp payroll amount. Factors that will be considered are year to date income after expenses, cash flow concerns, Accountable Plan expense reimbursements, health insurance premiums, depreciation, future purchases and what others in your industry typically earn. We also take inventory of your overall financial world and discuss taxes, business issues, retirement, insurance, liability, etc.


We want payroll to be seamless for you, and not a chore. We also want to do a better job for you in terms of planning. With that in mind, we want to project your business income, salary and cash needs for the upcoming 2018 quarters. We can easily go on autopilot for Q1 and Q2 based on 2017, tune-up in Q3 and then cleanup in Q4.


Important Dates For 2018 S Corp Payroll Processing

Cash will be drawn on or about the following dates and sent to the IRS (and state if applicable)-


  • Q1, on or about March 27 2018
  • Q2, on or about June 27 2018
  • Q3, on or about September 27 2018
  • Q4, on or about December 27 2018

Of course we will always give you advanced notice. At this time, additional estimated tax payments are not necessary since all tax obligations are being handled through payroll. This might change as your circumstances change.


Your W-2 withholdings will be grossed up to plan for your K-1 income and associated income taxes by using your previous tax returns coupled with your projected business income. This is always our goal- compartmentalize your business and help you budget for the income tax consequence throughout the year.


If you want more or less taxes withheld, please let us know. If you have major life events such as new home, new baby, marriage, divorce, changes in income, etc., please let us know so we can accommodate. The exact amounts will be on several payroll reports including your paystub which will be uploaded to your client portal shortly after payroll is completed.


Please submit the following information for your 2018 S Corp payroll events. Don’t forget to submit an Accountable Plan Expense Reimbursement form if you have personal expenses such as home office, cell phone, mileage, etc. that the company must reimburse you for.



Fillable PDF

This S Corp Payroll online submit form is also available as a fillable PDF which can be edited, saved and uploaded to your client portal. Please use the button below to download-



2018 Gross Income, Profit

Enter your estimated income or sales information below. Cost goods sold (COGS) is typically reserved for those who sell items as a part of his or her business.


Skip this section if we maintain your accounting records. We will need all other information however.


* Please do not include

1. Salaries Already Paid to Owners

2. Meals and Entertainment

3. Asset Purchases (computers, automobiles, equipment, etc.)

4. Accountable Plan Expenses (mileage, home office, cell phone, etc.)

5. Health Insurance, Long-Term Care, Health Savings Accounts (HSAs)

6. Profit Sharing Contributions (covered below)

Meals, Asset Purchases

Meals are only tax deductible at 50%, such as meeting with a client or buying your favorite CPA a beer. However, if the meal was buying lunch for the whole office (beyond yourself) then this is a fringe benefit that is 100% tax deductible. Therefore, please report your meals and entertainment below that the COMPANY paid for directly. And always use the full amount- we will discount the meals at 50% accordingly. If you paid for them PERSONALLY, use the Accountable Plan Reimbursement Form.


Some assets can be depreciated 100% in the year of purchase, others might be amortized over time. If you purchased any equipment such as computers or furniture, or an automobile, or any other asset, please explain below-

Accountable Plan Expenses

Accountable Plan Expense Reimbursements are expenses that you pay for PERSONALLY that your company reimburses you for. Common examples are home office, cell phone, internet, meals and entertainment and mileage. You should only report the business portion. If you have your own Accountable Plan Expense Reimbursement form or spreadsheet, enter your total. Otherwise, you can leave blank and submit this information on our online submit form through the Payroll Portal or use the link below-



Health Insurance, LTC, HSA

Self-Employed Health Insurance (SEHI) and Long-Term Care (LTC) premiums are typically paid directly by your company to the insurance provider. Regardless of how these were paid, please enter the amounts below. Remember, you are allowed to have an insurance policy that covers your entire family even though your spouse or children might not work for the company.


Your company may also contribute directly to your Health Savings Accounts (HSA) on your behalf. This is only in conjunction with a high-deductible health insurance plan, and is commonly offered by your provider.


If you have more questions about how all this stuff works in connection with your small business, please review our KB article on the subject with the link below-



This is important. We encourage the company to make SEHI, LTC and HSA payments directly instead of using personal funds. While at the end of the day (and on your tax return) it does not matter, it is cleaner to have the company make these payments directly if able. If you made these payments PERSONALLY or a combination, please explain the payments, the amounts, the dates, etc., below-

Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA), Section 105

HRAs are very unique, and allow for your company to reimburse you for all out of pocket medical expenses. If you have an HRA or a Section 105 Plan (the official name), please provide those reimbursed expenses below-

Flex Spending, Cafeteria Plans, Section 125

Do you have a Cafeteria Plan (aka Flex Spending, FSA, Section 125, Dependent Care)? If not, you might consider one. A plan costs about $400. You can deduct up to $5,000 in dependent care benefits (for example). At 20% tax rate, this is a savings of $1,000 minus the administration costs of $400. $600 in your pocket. Contact us for more information. If you already have a Section 125 Plan (the official name), please explain what payroll deductions or amounts you have set aside for this-

Small Business Retirement Planning

Retirement planning is important for small business owners, and we can help determine which plan is best for you. If you want some more information, please check out our Retirement Planning chapter from our book with the following link-



SEP IRA (old school)

If you have a SEP IRA, or you want to set one up, you have until the tax filing deadline of your personal tax return to fund the account including extensions. So, you could file for an extension on February 1, file your tax returns on March 1, and fund your SEP IRA by October 15. SEP IRAs are dinosaurs however in favor of the i401k which allows a much larger contribution. Please detail the amount of the SEP IRA contribution you have made or plan to make. Remember, this is limited to 25% of your W2 wages- so $50,000 salary allows for a $12,500 contribution.


Solo 401k Plan (new school)

If you have an Solo 401k plan, contributions must be made by the tax filing deadline of the business (March 15). With a Solo 401k plan, there are two elements to the contributions. The employee and the employer. The employee (you) can contribute $18,500 plus $6,000 if you are 50 and older. The company (employer) can contribute 25% of your W-2 wages. Another way to look at this is- 401k = SEP + $18,500.


We can set up and manage a Solo 401k plan for you with TD Ameritrade. Please let us know if you need help.


Did you want to run a payroll event on your spouse for a 401k contribution? If so, please explain-


SIMPLEs must be set up by September 30 of the current year, so by Q4 this option is unavailable. SIMPLEs are very inexpensive ways to offer a tax-deferral system for you and your employees. It can be viewed as a hybrid between a company-sponsored 401k and a SEP IRA. Low costs. $12,000 deferral amount. Company matching up to 3%. If you do not have employees beyond yourself, then this is NOT a good plan to adopt.


Cash Requirements

Have you or do you plan to make any major purchases by the end of the year? If so, please explain below-

We can temporarily fluctuate salaries and / or tax withholdings depending on your available cash. Of course, this is challenging in Q4 since we cannot use future payroll events to re-align salaries. Remember, it is a pay me now or pay me later system- eventually you run out of road for kicking the can. If you need to reserve cash, please tell us your available cash and when you expect to have more cash, and we will make recommendations-

Other W2 Income, Estimated Tax Payments

If you started your S Corp mid-year, or if you have some W-2 income outside your S corp including your spouse, please provide the most recent paystubs. This is critical.


Have you made any tax payments outside of payroll? Typically we increase tax withholdings to account for your K-1 income so making estimated tax payments is unnecessary in the future. But if you have made payments or plan to make additional payments, please detail the amounts below-


Please do not include payments that were drafted in connection with your payroll. The amounts entered below should only be additional tax payments that you made on your own such as mailing additional checks or using the EFTPS system.

Computing Tax Liabilities

K-1s can account for over 50% of your reported business income on your tax returns. So, it is a large chunk. However, there is not a withholding system in place for K-1s, and you might have a large tax surprise if you ignore the tax consequence of this income. As a suggestion, we can conveniently increase the withholdings associated with your payroll event to account for this K-1 income. This is in lieu of making separate estimated tax payments- very cool.


Since payroll tables can only calculate tax withholdings based on salaries and not on both salaries and K-1 income, we need your effective tax rates for 2018 so we can manually override your tax withholdings. If we prepared your 2016 or 2017 tax returns, we already have this information. But if you are new to the Watson CPA Group or if we did not prepare your 2016 or 2017 tax returns, please provide a copy of your 2016 or 2017 tax returns, and we can compute the effective rate. We are shooting in the dark otherwise, and we want to project your tax liability to the best of our abilities. As mentioned previously, we need copies of paystubs if you have any other W-2 or 1099 income besides your S Corp (including spouses).


Tax Modeling Questionnaire

Are there any changes between 2017 and 2018 that would dramatically alter your effective tax rates such as houses, children, spouses, ex-spouses, large swings in income, etc. This is super duper important and will mess up perfectly good tax planning. So, if this applies to you, please explain below-

Multiple Owners

Are there multiple shareholders to the company? If so, salaries must be commensurate to work performed and the value of the work. Distributions are always taken in relation to ownership percentage. If you have multiple shareholders, please detail the ownership percentage and the salary allocations among the owners below-


Click the Submit button below to securely and safely send this information to us. You can submit as many forms as needed. If you later discover an error- simply re-submit your information and check the box below letting us know.

Yes     No


Make sure you submit an Accountable Plan Expense Reimbursement form if necessary.